Childhood is a critical stage in an individual’s life when it comes to mental health. Rapid growth and development of child’s brain involves cognitive, social and emotional learning. Quality of environment along with some genetic factors together plays a vital role in shaping up children’s well-being and mental health. Negative elements in any inherited traits or experiences of a child can unduly increase the risk of adversely impacting the child’s mental health and psycho-social development.
Developmental process in children is often recognised in terms of cognitive learning, social and behavioural skills, and therefore any disorderliness in the mentioned aspects may result into childhood mental disorder.
Signs and symptoms of Childhood Mental Disorders:
- Struggling in academic performance, often inappropriate with respect to their age.
- Disturbance in normal fluency and motor production of speech.
- Have recurring and persistent tantrums or becoming intensely angry much of the time.
- Inability to maintain attention and sit quietly.
- Inability to engage with others and reciprocate social interactions.
- Disinterest in playing with other children.
- Engaging in destructive and harming activities causing injury to oneself or others.
- Excessive anxiety and fear about separation from major attachment figure.
- Lack of having basic emotional needs for comfort and affection.
- Repeated discharge of urine or faeces into bed or clothes manifested by either a frequency of at least twice a week for at least 3 consecutive months.
Role of Counselling & Therapy in treating Childhood Mental Disorders
Every child has a human right to achieve full development potential. Counsellors and therapists with specialisation in dealing with childhood mental disorders can play an important role and responsibility to support the required nurturing intervention. Selective intervention by the child counsellor and therapists becomes effective in prevention, reduction and remission of the childhood mental disorder symptoms. Consultation with mental health professional becomes impactful in accurate and timely diagnosis. It can be further advanced into establishing clear treatment goals with the help of therapeutic interventions including behavioural, vocational and psychotherapy components.
How do you know that your child needs Counselling/Therapy?
You can find out if your child needs counselling or therapy by checking the following points:
- You want to bring a change in your child, but you’re unable to do so on your own, you might want to seek counselling.
- Your child is experiencing disturbances which is impacting his or her day-to-day life and impacting his social and academic engagements.
- Your child is struggling to maintain his or her overall wellbeing.
- Your child experiencing emotions on the extremes. For example: He or she is either too happy or too angry.
- Your child is having a difficult time in understanding their emotions or in making sense of what is going on around them.
- Your child is feeling disconnected from oneself and his or her loved ones.
How does TalktoAngel can help you in resolving Childhood Mental Disorders?
TalktoAngel is an online platform that provides quality therapy and other mental health services online. We have qualified and experienced professionals working with us. Resolving Childhood Mental Disorders and providing an effective child counselling is one of our areas of expertise. We have experts and specialists who have successfully worked previously on cases of Childhood Mental Disorders. Studies have proven that online mental health services are as effective as the conventional mode. Furthermore, at TalktoAngel, we put your needs first. We can help you with flexible appointments, personalized and customized intervention plans all at the tip of your fingers.
- How can I resolve Childhood Mental Disorders?
If you think Childhood Mental Disorder of your child has been impacting his or her personal, academic and social life, it is best to contact a counsellor/therapist who specializes in child counselling. However, if you think that you can overcome problems of your child on your own, you can start with observing and understanding the patterns of your child’s emotions and behaviours. This should be followed with having open communication with your partner along with consulting child counsellor and therapists to resolve your child’s mental troubles.
- Are Childhood Mental Disorders mental illnesses?
Childhood Mental Disorders is diagnosed under neurodevelopmental, behavioural and emotional disorder under American Psychological Association’s (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental disorders and under WHO’s International Classification of Mental Disorder.
- Why is your child suffering from Childhood Mental Disorder?
The exact cause of most childhood mental disorders is unknown but research have suggested that hereditary, biological and psycho-social factors acts in combination to impact child’s mental wellbeing.
- What is the best way to resolve Childhood Mental Disorder?
Resolving Childhood Mental Disorder is based on addressing the underlying problems that are impacting your child’s mental wellbeing. Child counselling can enable children to improve their cognitive, behavioural and social functioning in life while recognizing and resolving conflicts to solidifying their path to achieve full development potential. Psychological therapies like ABA (Applied Behaviour Analysis), Family therapy, Play therapy, Art therapy and other child centred therapies can provide supportive mechanism to resolve childhood mental disorders.