Ups and downs in life are common for every emotional being. But few shocking events in life can have severe impact on psychological well-being of an individual. Experiences from any accident, natural disaster, act of terrorism or violence, sudden loss of loved one, serious illness, torture, rape or sexual harassment can bring neurobiological and neuroendocrine changes in the body. Any of the above or similar nature of traumatic event can create acute stress, anxiety, disinhibited social engagement, adjustment and attachment problems.
Signs and Symptoms of Trauma and Stressor related Disorders: –
- Involuntary and intrusive recurring memories (including flashbacks) of the traumatic event.
- Distressing dreams.
- Inability to experience positive emotions like happiness, satisfaction, or feeling of love.
- Consistent pattern of inhibition or emotional withdrawn.
- Detached sense of oneself.
- Distorted view of one’s surroundings.
- Unable to recall memories of the traumatic event.
- Tearfulness, low mood and feeling of hopelessness.
- Psychological distress due to obsessive and compulsive thoughts.
Role of Counselling & Therapy in treating Trauma and Stressor related Disorders
Occurrence of psychological traumas and stressors are highly prevalent in today’s unsettled and uncertain environment. Any uneventful incident can take a toll on psychological well-being of an individual’s life. Though many of us try to tackle it by own willpower or finding a support from family members but the serious damage to cognitive, affective and behaviour state of the person due to trauma often go unnoticed. Psychologist and therapist are professionally qualified to address those conditions of psychological disequilibrium. Using required interventions, they can help individual to regain a state of control over psychological distress, incorporate coping skills and regain the ability to manage internal and external difficulties.
How do you know that you or any concerned person need Counselling/Therapy?
You can find out if you or any concerned individual need counselling or therapy by checking the following points:
- You or any concerned individual want to bring a change, but you’re unable to do so on your own, you might want to seek counselling.
- You or any concerned individual is experiencing disturbances which is impacting daily routine, work or social engagements etc.
- You or any concerned individual is experiencing disturbances which is impacting overall wellbeing.
- You or any concerned individual is experiencing emotions on the extremes. For example: you’re either too happy or too angry.
- You or any concerned individual is having a difficult time in understanding emotions or in making sense of what is going on around you.
- Feeling of disconnectedness from yourself and your loved ones.
How does TalktoAngel can help you in resolving Trauma and Stressor related Disorders?
TalktoAngel is an online platform that provides quality therapy and other mental health services online. We have qualified and experienced professionals working with us. Resolving Trauma and Stressor related Disorders and providing an effective counselling is one of our areas of expertise. We have experts and specialists who have successfully worked previously on cases of Trauma and Stressor related Disorders. Studies have proven that online mental health services are as effective as the conventional mode. Furthermore, at TalktoAngel, we put your needs first. We can help you with flexible appointments, personalized and customized intervention plans all at the tip of your fingers.
- How can I resolve Trauma and Stressor related Disorders?
If you think any uneventful incident in your life has been impacting your personal and interpersonal life, it is best to contact a counsellor/therapist who specializes in dealing with Trauma and Stressor related Disorders. However, if you think that you can overcome your issues on your own, you can start with observing and understanding the pattern of your thought process, emotions, and behaviours related to the experienced incident. This should be followed with having open communication with your loved ones and consultation with your psychologist.
- Are Trauma and Stressor related Disorders mental illnesses?
Yes, Trauma and Stressor related Disorders are mental illnesses diagnosed under American Psychological Association’s (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental disorders and under WHO’s International Classification of Mental Disorder.
- Why are you or any concerned individual is suffering from Trauma and Stressor related Disorders?
When you experience any traumatic incident which is likely to create emotional wound or any physical damage, body’s defence take effect and create a fight-or-flight response. This response activates body’s sympathetic nervous system induced by sudden release of hormones stimulating adrenal glands. It may make an individual feel variety of physical symptoms, change in behaviour patterns and feelings of emotional instability. These changes create stress, anxiety and other trauma and stressor related symptoms.
- What is the best way to resolve Trauma and Stressor related Disorders?
Resolving Trauma and Stressor related Disorders is based on addressing the underlying problems that are impacting the mental wellbeing. Counselling can enable individuals to improve their cognitive, behavioural and social functioning in life while recognizing and resolving conflicts that has come into existence due to your traumatic experience. Psychological therapies like Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), Exposure Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) and Psychodynamic therapy can provide an effective mechanism to resolve Trauma and Stressor related Disorder.