Yoga, as we know, is performed to improve strength and flexibility, but do you know it is also good for your mental health as well? Health benefits like improving mood, sharpening concentration, relieving stress and anxiety, and improving symptoms of depression and insomnia are achieved by Yoga. So, yoga is the synchronization of your mind, body, and inner self with the outer energy or the environment.
In this blog, you will be learning some Yoga poses for your better mental health.
Benefits of Yoga for Mental Health
• CALMS YOUR MIND: Postures and breathing exercises will help you to calm your body and mind. Also, Yoga is very helpful in preventing anxiety attacks or panic attacks which are common nowadays.
• IMPROVES YOUR MOOD: Physical exercises release healthy brain chemicals like endorphins and dopamine, which are known as feel-good chemicals and gives you a happy feeling.
• HELP YOU IN FOCUS AND CONCENTRATION: Doing breathing exercises with specific postures has shown a direct relationship with a steady mind and good concentration.
• IMPROVES PATIENCE: lack of patience is the root cause for many behavioral issues as well as one of the factors for disorders like anxiety, depression, and bipolar. The over activation of the hypothalamic gland and the pineal gland can be decreased with a proper breathing technique (pranayama) of Yoga.
YOGA POSES TO Improve YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
This asana is also known as the “high- lunge” as the body is thrust forward with outstretched hands. This yoga pose helps in blood circulation and provide enough oxygen to the cell, also helps in keeping calm.
- While standing, lunge one leg forward.
- Bend the knee of your right leg, make sure your knee is in line with your ankle, and stretch back your left leg.
- Press your ankle flat on to the ground.
- Connect your both palm and raise your hand.
- Breathe in and then breathe out at regular intervals.
- Repeat 5 times per leg.
This Yoga asana will help you in your digestion, improve your spinal strength, and maintaining calmness in the mind. And will help in keeping your anxiety and depression at bay.
- Sit cross-legged; gently lift one of your ankle above your opposite thigh.
- Place it close to your hip, do the same with the other ankle.
- Place your both palms on your both knees, keeping your back straight.
- Breathe evenly for 30 seconds.
It helps boost your mental health by helping you meditate and eases your body. Savasana is known as one of the excellent ways to relax the body.
- Just Lie down on your back by keeping your body straight.
- Keep your hands on both of your sides.
- Keeping your palms facing upwards and then close your eyes
- You can consider counting your breaths.
- Stay in this position for at least 5 minutes
This Yoga asana helps in cleaning your lungs it pushes out mucous from the lungs, the central nervous system is also affected by this as this asana relaxes CNS. Stress is relieved by this asana. Also helpful in insomnia, fatigue, and headache issues, for women it helps in reducing menopause symptoms.
- Begin by standing straight.
- Keep your hands on both sides of the hip and take a deep breath.
- Raise your hands above you and while you breathe out bend your torso forward.
- Bend till your hands touch the ground next to your feet.
- If it is difficult for you to do, you can alternatively hold onto the elbows.
- Maintain to keep your knees straight throughout.
- Stay in this position for around 10-15 seconds and release.
- Use your abs to release this position
It is a brilliant pose for improving blood circulation in your body. It stimulates the nervous system, helps to relax your mind. People with joint pains perform this asana to get relief.
- Begin by lying on the floor with your face facing the ceiling. Place your hands behind your body, palms facing upwards.
- Holding your hips, and balancing your body on your arms and elbows, slowly raise your legs and your body above.
- Keep your legs at a right angle to your torso
- Bring your arms to the side of the body.
- You can also add soft cushions below your neck and back.
- Stay in this position for around 10-15 minutes
Now you know yoga is a great way to help manage mental health, but it shouldn’t be considered the only solution for mental health issues. Incorporate Yoga in your lifestyle for better health but do not depend solely on it, if required, then go for medication for mental health issues. Consult a mental health therapist for the best mental health treatment plan for you.
TALKTOANGEL (www.talktoangel.com) is an online mental health consulting platform with a team of experienced psychologists and psychiatrists. All domains of mental health doctors are available here like child psychologist/psychiatrist, sexual disorder issues, relationship issues, depression, phobia, anxiety, etc.
Don’t let yourself or your family and friends suffer alone. Take the help of professionals who understand these issues better.