Mental well-being and physical health are closely related. As we age, changes in physical, psychological, social and cultural level of an individual becomes inevitable. Being a natural process, aging changes biochemical process of an individual with accumulation of a wide variety of molecular and cellular damage that takes place over time. It is likely to impact physical and mental capabilities of an individual. Transitions in life associated with aging like retirement, relocation, death of friends and partners, loss of physical and mental functioning, affects the overall wellbeing of an older adult.
Though socio-economic status, life experiences, personal characteristics like hereditary and gender play a vital role in aging process but certain biological and psychological effects due to senescence cannot be neglected.
Signs and symptoms of Aging:
- Diminished sensitivity of sensory abilities like hearing and seeing.
- Decline in certain aspects of memory is commonly visible.
- Change in sleeping pattern.
- Impairment in cognitive functioning.
- Sense of isolation and withdrawal due to disruption in interpersonal relationships.
- Sense of insecurity often leading to irrational fear.
- Lack of willpower and possible loss of identity.
Pathological conditions due to Aging:
Apart from biological health condition associated with aging like cataracts, presbycusis, osteoarthritis, diabetes, pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases, there are also certain psychological conditions that can be associated with older adults.
- Delirium or Acute confusional state.
- Depression and Anxiety due to impairment in physical and emotive health.
- Dementia and Amnesia characterised by impairment in intellectual, memory and daily functioning.
- Feeling of bereavement (state of sorrow over departure of a loved one).
- Behavioural concerns like aggression, motor overactivity or verbal outbursts.
- Neurodegenerative problems like Alzheimer, Parkinson and Huntington disease.
Role of Counselling & Therapy in treating Geriatric Issues
It is normal for an older adult to face difficulty with transitions of aging. There inability to manage emotions, feeling social isolation, loosing purpose of life often disturb their mental well-being. These psychological concerns and certain neuro-degenerative disorders can be effectively addressed with help of counselling. Counsellors and therapists with specialisation in geriatric issues can create age-friendly environment and play a significant role in addressing mental health needs, thereby decreasing the emotional and cognitive sufferings. Counsellors and therapists can also assist older adults to manage their feeling of isolation and insecurity, and resolve their communication problems. With the help of required therapeutic interventions psychologists can help older adults to deal with stress, anxiety, depression or any family concerns.
How do you know that you or any concerned person need Counselling/Therapy?
You can find out if you or any concerned individual need counselling or therapy by checking the following points:
- You or any concerned individual want to bring a change, but you’re unable to do so on your own, you might want to seek counselling.
- You or any concerned individual is experiencing disturbances which is impacting daily routine, work or social engagements etc.
- You or any concerned individual is experiencing disturbances which is impacting overall wellbeing.
- You or any concerned individual is experiencing emotions on the extremes. For example: you’re either too happy or too angry.
- You or any concerned individual is having a difficult time in understanding emotions or in making sense of what is going on around you.
- Feeling of disconnectedness from yourself and your loved ones.
How does TalktoAngel can help you in resolving Geriatric Issues?
TalktoAngel is an online platform that provides quality therapy and other mental health services online. We have qualified and experienced professionals working with us. Resolving Geriatric Issues and providing an effective age-related counselling is one of our areas of expertise. We have experts and specialists who have successfully worked previously on cases of Geriatric Issues. Studies have proven that online mental health services are as effective as the conventional mode. Furthermore, at TalktoAngel, we put your needs first. We can help you with flexible appointments, personalized and customized intervention plans all at the tip of your fingers.
- How can I resolve Geriatric Issues?
If you think your age-related issues has been impacting your personal and interpersonal life, it is best to contact a counsellor/therapist who specializes in dealing with geriatric issues. However, if you think that you can overcome your issues on your own, you can start with observing and understanding the pattern of your thought process, emotions, and behaviours. This should be followed with having open communication with your loved ones and consultation with your psychologist.
- Are Geriatric Issues mental illnesses?
Not all geriatric issues are mental illnesses, but certain neurocognitive conditions like forms of Dementia, Amnesia, Delirium and other mental and behavioural disorder associated with age is diagnosed under American Psychological Association’s (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental disorders and under WHO’s International Classification of Mental Disorder.
- Why are you or any concerned individual is suffering from Geriatric Issues?
Most Geriatric Issues are generally due to disturbance in physical and mental health functioning caused by age related changes in biochemical process of brain and body. Research have also suggested that personality, social connectedness and engagement, economic conditions act in combination to impact the older adult’s mental wellbeing.
- What is the best way to resolve Geriatric Issues?
Resolving Geriatric Issues is based on addressing the underlying problems that are impacting the mental wellbeing. Geriatric counselling can enable older adults to improve their cognitive, behavioural and social functioning in life while recognizing and resolving conflicts to solidifying their remaining journey in life. Psychological therapies like Interpersonal therapy (IPT), Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), Problem-solving therapy (PST), Reminiscence therapy and Short-term psychodynamic therapy can provide supportive mechanism to resolve Geriatric Issues.