Couples and individuals must have the freedom and responsibility to decide the number of children they desire and have the knowledge, education, and tools for this purpose, this is what we say, family planning. In other words, family planning is a preventive service that allows married couples
- to achieve their desired number of children
- to decide the spacing between pregnancies according to their economic opportunities and personal wishes
- to ensure that the births of the children are at appropriate intervals for the better health of mother and child both.
Family planning does not mean to limit the number of people in a family. The goal of family planning is to prevent pregnancy-related health risks, in women, their health issues, and to reduce the chances for unsafe abortions and infant mortality rate. From various researches, it has been observed that maternal health, risk of pregnancy, and even maternal death significantly increase when births are made at intervals of less than 2 years. It is also observed that babies born at short intervals are not fully developed (babies with low birth weight), disability rate increases, care becomes difficult and infant mortality increases in the mother’s womb.
The purposes of family planning
There are many benefits of family planning and it can result in higher levels of education, better employment opportunities, better lifestyle, higher socioeconomic status, and empowerment.
Family planning helps
- to prevent unwanted pregnancy
- to counsel family whenever they want
- to improve the abilities of family members and provide them clarity in decision-making
- recognize their freedom to make a free decision about having a child or not.
In “Primary Health Care”, Family planning services have an important role, which must be presented to the public.
One should see family planning as a means to create healthy and happy families, not just as a means of population control.
So, now you know that family planning services help people to decide when, how many, at what interval, and whether to have children at all. It is very important for the couple to have the freedom to choose the number of children and in the process to choose health and happiness for the household. Family planning is an important component that benefits the health of the mother and child making the mother-child healthy and happy.
Unplanned pregnancies and abortions pose a burden on the health and finances of the family, the social structure of the country, and the environment as a whole. It is not only beneficial to mother and child in fact the whole family is under the benefit of it.
Benefits of Family Planning for the Mother
- Better health
- Can give attention to the whole family
- Will get more time
- Career growth
Benefits of Family Planning to the Children
- Better health/ Survival chances
- Happiness increases
- More opportunities/fewer resources fight
- Get more security, love, and care
Benefits of Family Planning for the Father
- Less financial burden, more mental strength
- Less responsibility, able to enjoy his me time also
- Family resources are preserved
Various methods you can use to prevent unwanted pregnancy and option for family planning:
- Barriers: This method is used to prevent the fertilization process. Condoms for both males and females are available, diaphragm, cervical cap, contraceptive sponges, and spermicidal are also available. They also protect from sexually transmitted diseases and HIV.
- Hormonal methods: It affects a female’s ovulation cycle, using this method one can regulate or stop ovulation to prevent pregnancy. They also thicken cervical mucus. Hormones can be consumed in form of pills, or taken in injections, or one can use skin patches, vaginal rings, intrauterine devices, implantable rods, etc. They regularize menstrual cycles, reduce blood loss, reduce dysmenorrhea, and provide benefits in many diseases like PCOD, endometriosis, etc.
- Intrauterine devices: Small T shaped device which is inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy.
- Sterilization: Surgical methods done for long-term contraception when the person feels the family is complete and does not want more children. Surgical blockage of tubes (tubectomy) in women is done and this is not reversible. Gives benefit to high-risk women who are not looking forward to getting pregnant. In men they can get a vasectomy, which involves snipping the tubes that carry sperm, its reversal is possible in some cases. However, fertility after vasectomy reversal is not always fully restored.
Millions of women are there who want to avoid pregnancy but are not able to do so because either they lack knowledge or they don’t have access to modern contraceptive methods. There are still cases of unsafe abortions that can be found because of unwanted pregnancies. Many deaths of mothers and children can be seen occurring due to complications of pregnancy. So by family planning, these things can be reduced and the road to good health is created with more chances of development.
Have you ever thought about why you are not getting sexual pleasure, why your sex life is not going well? There are many cases when relationships break because of a lack of sexual pleasure. Breaking a relationship is not the correct solution. Consult Dr.R.K.Suri for any relationship or sexual issues you are facing because there are many reasons which can be responsible for. And only an expert knows the correct solution.